I’m a nerd. Seriously, I’ve always been one. I love reading, yeah, but I’m also a huge fan of correcting other people’s spelling and grammar (some would say Nazi-like), and I love word games and jigsaw puzzles. But one of my all-time favourite nerdy things is trivia—random facts that really have no use whatsoever.
Ask me to play trivial pursuit and I’m there—anytime, anywhere, with anyone. If you’re having a trivia night to support some random cause, I’ll happily come along and be your extra team member. And if you’re just curious to know if giraffes can cough, or pigs can look up at the sky I can tell you no, on both accounts—it’s physically impossible!
So, now you know my secret. And here’s an extra one for you—I’m also totally into nerds and geeks! Love me some geek lovin’.
To celebrate my nerdiness, here’s a collection of fifteen triviata (random facts) for you, courtesy partially of Odd Stuff Magazine, and partially of my crazy brain:
- On Monday mornings most people do not smile until 11.16am.
- A cat’s brain is biologically more similar to a human brain than it is to a dog’s. Humans and cats have identical regions in their brains that are responsible for emotions.
- For the lion and lioness couple, it’s all about quantity, not quality. Though romps usually only last for 10 seconds, the process is repeated up to 40 times a day.
- Sneezes regularly exceed speeds of 100mph (160.93kph), while coughs clock in at approximately 60mph (96.56kph).
- Just like humans, dogs can suffer from poor self-image. Bolster self-esteem with praise, affection and rewards.
- Lego comes from the Danish ‘Leg Godt’, which translates to ‘play well’.
- The word ‘Whisky’ is derived from the Celtic expression uisce beatha (water of life).
- In Siena, Italy, Girls named Mary cannot be prostitutes.
- The milk of the hippopotamus is pink
- In France it is illegal to name a pig Napoleon. Globally though, it is absolutely possible for a Pig to become an alcoholics.
- Before the eraser, bread was used to erase pencil marks.
- People who dream more often and more vividly, on an average have a higher Intelligence Quotient. (Soo,…why am I not a genius?)
- Koalas and primates are the only animals with unique fingerprints.
- Duelling is legal in Paraguay, as long as both parties are blood donors.
- Apparently the first European settlers in Australia drank more alcohol per person than any other community in the history of mankind.
This last one makes sense, and also makes me want to both laugh and cry. Yay Australia!
Got any useless facts for me to add to my collection?